Sunday, October 17, 2010

PSAT day

Wednesday 10/13/2010
Today was the PSAT, so I sat in a room with 6 other people that didn't have to take it for the whole time it was happening. We had to do some college essay prep for like the first hour, but then after that we could just do whatever.
Sooo, today for culture and society we went to see a movie at a theater in Nagoya, but the movie didn't start until like 4:30, so after lunch we were released to do whatever we wanted, and meet in Nagoya at 4:00. After being in the same room all day, I wanted to go out, so I suggested that we go to Nagoya and find something to do until 4:00. None of my group of friends wanted to go except for Suet-yee, and Shelby said she wanted to go too. I had told them about going to Osu with my host sister, so we decided to go there. We went to the temple, and then we walked forever trying to find a good coffee shop. We went into this bakery place, and it turned out to also have amazing coffee! The desserts were beautiful! We all got cake (pictures on my facebook) and I got some delicious coffee (pic of that on my facebook as well) and it wasn't very expensive, well, not for Japan.
We also stopped in at this K-pop store, but it was very small, and we were out of money and time, so we didn't stay there long.
We met back up at the station, and walked with everyone to the movie theater. This movie theater was the sketchiest one I've ever seen. It was on some side street, and it was on the second, wait no, third floor or some building. We had to go up this sketch stairwell, and into a small room with a movie screen in it...
Anyway, the movie was a documentary called "anpo: art X war" and it was about anpo, which is the agreement made between the U.S. and Japan after world war 2, which said a lot of things, including that America can have bases in Japan. So in the movie the story is told through art, and by the artists who experienced some aspect of anpo. I found the movie pretty interesting, but a lot of people fell asleep... I definitely felt very douchey watching this movie, because it showed how douchey America was. But my response to that is not that I shouldn't have been there, as some people said, but that I have a responsibility to have been there. It's like how people say that they don't want to go to Hiroshima because they will just feel guilty, but I think that not going is just ignoring what happened, which is impossible for some people on the other side. And I therefore feel that it is unfair for Americans to just not look and pretend it didn't happen just because it will make them feel guilty if they do.
Anyway, so after the movie I rode the train with Javier, and got back to kida pretty quickly. That route is so much better than from Ichinomiya to kida! I don't have to switch trains!

0 comments:

Post a Comment